Where to get help

If you are unsure of who to talk to about your diabetes and the health of your feet, the following types of health care professionals can assist:

  • General Practitioner
  • Podiatrist
  • Diabetes educator or Nurse
  • Local community health centre

Ask your health care professional to check your feet at each diabetes check-up and mention any changes you have noticed in your feet or legs.


Print off this handy list to take to your doctor, reminding you of things to discuss:

  • Ask your doctor or health care professional to check your feet
  • Mention any injuries, pain, wounds, ulcers
  • Mention any changes in skin sensitivity / loss of sensation
  • Discuss your Daily Foot Care routine (see the Caring for your Feet section of the DFA website)
  • If you experience issues adequately caring for your own feet at home (eg. due to mobility issues), please discuss options with your doctor.

Remember, make an appointment to see your doctor straight away if:

  • You have a current, untreated ulcer or your feet show any sign of injury that becomes red or isn’t healing.
  • Your feet have noticeable changes in sensitivity (or loss of sensation) or appearance.
  • You notice pain, swelling, throbbing, temperature changes in the feet (especially heat) or changes to skin colouration.

 If you and your Health Professional need the support of a Multi-disciplinary clinic, please search our “Find a Clinic” listing – Here.